As the wait continues, I thought I would post a couple of videos for my wife to watch. Because I spend my days at school grading papers, planning next year, trying to teach kids how to write, etc., I don't have a lot of time to think about THE WAIT. Most days, however, Jana is at home by herself during the day, so I thought I would post these videos for her. We have loved these songs for some time now (well, not so much "Blackhawk" though we do love the album from which it comes, Wrecking Ball), and I hope the familiarity and beauty of them helps her forget THE WAIT for a few moments.
I've been listening to a lot of Emmylou Harris lately. Her music's helping make it through my stacks of papers I have to grade. So, the first is Emmylou Harris singing some songs--"Orphan Girl" and "Blackhawk"--from her album Wrecking Ball. "Orphan Girl" also just so happens to have been written by Gillian Welch, another one of our favorites. This clip also has Daniel Lanois playing guitar (in the large dark glasses and stocking cap).
Last, we have "The Maker" by Daniel Lanois, which has been covered by numerous folks--Emmylou Harris, Willie Nelson, Dave Matthews to name a few. This version has a guest appearance by Emmylou (yes, I "youtubed" Emmylou. I was looking for video of her singing her song "Red Dirt Girl" and wanted to see how to play it).
Love you, Sweetie.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
oh!!! i love love love this music. it makes my heart happy. do you have the live emmylou spyboy album? it's a must-have. let me know. i'll send it to you!!
No, we don't. But I'm way interested. I'd love to hear it!
Hi, I somehow found your blog and have enjoyed reading it, because my husband and I are adopting from Ethiopia as well. We are at the same place you guys are--waiting and waiting and waiting. :) Hope you hear something soon...
Lee Ann
www.girlyswirls.blogspot.com
ooh! i'll send it asap!!
"Orphan Girl" is one of my favorite songs of all time. I have to pick and choose when I'm able to listen to it though as weeping always follows.
"from across the Great Divide,
in the distance, I saw a Light:
Jean-batiste, walking to me,
with the Maker."
that song makes me cry everytime.
thanks m. xoxo
so sweet :)
Post a Comment