Saturday, March 14, 2009

Details.

Thank you again for your encouraging comments and emails. Here is a little more info:



We've had our Eyes Toward Ethiopia for awhile now. *grin*

We wondered if we might have a chance to live and serve there someday. We've had our eyes on other things too: living and teaching in Cambodia, deliberately moving to a low-income, multi-racial neighborhood in our own city, attending seminary in Vancouver, and so on. But we did hope (and pray) that sometime, somehow, an opportunity might come along to be involved with work in Ethiopia. Little did we know that our Ethiopian opportunity would come along now.

We've been thinking:

*Seize the day.
*Life is for living.
*To whom much is given, much is required.
*The widow, the orphan, the stranger.....
*True religion: caring for widow and orphans in their distress, etc.
*'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these
brothers of mine, you did for me.'

For those of you who didn't receive Gladney's letter on Wednesday, we will move in late August, after my little brother's wedding. So, life will continue fairly normally for a few more months. When summer comes, we'll start selling off our stuff: our furniture, our cars. We don't have a house to sell, so that's nice.

And then, Ethiopia!






17 comments:

Ashleigh said...

That's so incredible, Jana! Again, I hope we could possibly connect there...one day...once we've received a referral, passed court and have our daughter's passport in order :) All in good time...and good faith.
Congratulations

JonesEthiopia said...

Just so amazing. I'm so excited to see what will happen next.

Leah Reeves said...

That is amazing! Congratulations!

What a wondeful life you will have in Ethiopia!

Leah

Jana said...

WOW! Praise God for the opportunity to do what God has laid on your hearts.

Anonymous said...

Very excited since I believe you will be there upon the meeting of our little one to come (just about ready to join the wait-list ;)). God Bless you! Love, J (http://web.mac.com/lgutwein)

Rebecca said...

SO very exciting!!

dawn said...

I am thrilled for you. I believe this is the most wonderful opportunity and the Lord's timing is unmatched. We will miss our sweet niece on our trips home, but knowing she is in her birth place is a comfort. We love you and are praying for you. We hope to visit. Not sure how, but God will make a way if it is to be.

jen said...

"How beautiful on the mountains
are the feet of those who bring good news,
who proclaim peace,
who bring good tidings,
who proclaim salvation,
who say to Zion,
"Your God reigns!""

I am so happy for you. I hope that you'll keep up with this blog or another that we can follow.
I was also happy to see that you thought of living in Cambodia as well. We love Cambodia. We've been there many times. We hope to adopt from Cambodia if the US would ever allow it. And, of course, we also LOVE Ethiopia. Doug is visiting Ethiopia next month. He hopes to be able to do dental work in orphanages on a semi-regular basis. Maybe we'll get to meet you over there next year or the year after.

blessings to you and your beautiful feet!

Jen

Kimberly said...

That is so amazing! I'm so excited for you guys. What an amazing journey you're about to start!!!

The Soucys said...

This is just so exciting and so HUGE! What an amazing experience this will be, and how special for your daughter. It looks like we will meet someday too! We're finishing up our dossier, and soon we'll be on the wait list!!!! Very cool!

Amber said...

Wow, I have to admit, I am a little jealous. What will you be doing for Gladney? I am so excited for you!

Unknown said...

Wow - amazing! It's a dream of mine, but not one I see likely to be fulfilled in the near future. Can't wait to follow along (I'm assuming you'll blog!)

:) Congrats

Farmboy and Buttercup said...

Awesome news for your family. Thank you for following God on this journey.

Drew Carey Show said...

My parents made a very similar bold move when I was a kid... quit the job, sold the house, cars, everything and became missionaries... It's shaped who I am today, and I'm so thankful for the way I was raised. What a bold a glorious and recklessly wonderful choice you are making! We're so excited that you guys are joining the Gladney team that we feel so close to, and we're so happy too for this incredible turn your lives are taking!

bekah said...

Hello, my husband and I were at the Gladney Ethiopian Dinner Wednesday night. I wanted to introduce myself, but it never happened. We were waitlisted on Wednesday also! I look forward to following your journey and also of meeting you in Addis when we travel.

Tim said...

Oh Jana, it sounds condescending, and I've never even met you in person, but I'm so proud of you and your husband and of course the extraordinary Ruth. I imagine that the next few years will be so moving and inspiring and earth-shifting for your family. And I KNOW that so many children and their parents (birth and adoptive) are going to benefit from having the three of you in their lives. Bravo! Mazel Tov! Bless! Onwards, upwards! You go, girl!

Christina said...

we are jealous and very excited that God is giving your family an opportunity to serve in ET. Ruthie is so cute! You guys look like you are having a great time.