Monday, May 28, 2007

Coptic.



M. and I are drawn to Ethiopia's ancient Christian tradition. Ethiopia is around 50% Christian, called Coptic or Ethiopian Orthodox, and 50% Muslim. Both of these groups live together peacefully.
I've admired the Coptic cross for a long time. It often has a circle incorporated into the design, representing eternity.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Congratulations on deciding to adopt from Ethiopia NOW! If you have read much from my blog then you have gathered how much we LOVED Gladney...they were amazing to work with and really really took care of us while there. Great people, Great experience! Josh and I both also loved that the Orthodox Ethiopians and Muslim Ethiopians have been able to live in peace! Its amazing! During the days there you can hear Muslim prayers being spoken over a loud speaker and then you also hear Orthodox Christian prayers being spoken over a loud speaker as well! Its pretty amazing. Thanks for the blog comment..I look forward to seeing what transpires for you guys! Oh, does your husband teach English at a private school in Texas? Joshs school, Casady, is in the Southern Prepartory Conference and is connected with several private schools in Texas land.

Mexican Beauty said...

I love the Coptic cross. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Amy: I teach at a small classical-Christian school here in Dallas. It's not quite as established as Casady or the schools here in the area Casady is probably associated with (St. Mark's, ESD, Cistercian, I assume). But, I do teach middle and high school English!

Anonymous said...

There's actually a Coptic church right next to Town North Presbyterian in Richardson. File this comment under "Oddly Enough".