Others out there in the Ethiopian-adoption-blogosphere have posted this, so I figured I'd do the same for those viewing our blog and just getting themselves introduced to Africa, etc.
Bono (or Paul Hewson, for those on a non-stage name basis) of U2 has, in recent years, increasingly put himself at the forefront of issues regarding Africa--AIDS, fair trade, debt relief, etc. Statesmen here in the United States have been impressed by his knowledge of the issues and his conviction. I thought I would embed this footage of Bono speaking at the prayer breakfast held by President Bush over a year ago. It's just over 20 minutes long but worth your viewing.
I have long been a fan of U2. From when I first heard the Joshua Tree and felt a deep connection to its sentiments at 10 years old (I had older brothers) to my more recent enjoyment of How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, I have (in hindsight) always been inspired by Bono's desire for unity--not just in a political or social sense but in a deeper sense--the unity of heaven and earth. Most good lyric poetry is written with this same desire. While I don't know if U2's work will prove to be music for the ages, they have, nevertheless, produced music that has consistently echoed the sentiments of good lyric poetry from the past (here and here are two classic songs--and videos!--of theirs that perhaps illustrate this best). Enjoy the prayer breakfast footage.
Saturday, June 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
M, thanks for posting the Bono footage. I have a lot of respect for what he's done/is doing for Africa.
Also, the BF site is totally awesome. I'm quite removed from the mainstream Christian scene, but I can see how BF can happen pretty easily. =) I'm glad to see that there's help. Admitting you have a problem is the first step.
Love the video- think it might just end up over at our site:)
WOW. I just watched the whole thing. I love that guy.
In case any of you are still looking for the Bono Fatigue link, I took it off. The more I explored its contents, the more I found comments that went a little too far poking fun at Bono's involvement in Africa, Bono himself, etc. And while many of the comments there may be light-hearted and expressed without malicious intent, it seemed a little conflicting having a link to such a site while also encouraging readers to listen to Bono's talk at the prayer breakfast. I do think Bono has done much good in raising awareness for Africa, and I meant the link to provide some levity but now realize that the site could potentially be very offensive to many. I apologize if anyone out there was offended.
Hey you!
Thanks for your comment!
And congrats with your decision on adopting a child from Ethiopia!!!
From now on, I'll visit your blog often to follow every step of your journey to your ethiopian boy/girl...
And...WAW...you guys are from TEXAS???
We've always dreamed of going there some day...the home of Texas Blues like Stevie Ray Vaughan etc...some heavy fans over here ;)
Anyhow...I'm getting off track here...hope to keep in touch!!
Greetz from Belgium
xx
We talked about your adoption plans in our small group last night. Our group agreed to pray for you and with you as you make this journey. They were all very excited for our family, as are we!
that is so exciting, Dawn! Thank you for letting us know. That means alot.
i love that guy he is my favorite singer
Post a Comment