Sunday, October 14, 2007

Hey, Everybody!





Three things to tell ya'll:

1. On Friday night, Michael and I had the exciting opportunity to eat dinner with several families from our area who are adopting from ET, including
the Fournets, and the Frey's. Thanks again for your hospitality, Fournets! It was so good to meet everybody. Funny, when all of you are adopting from a baby from Africa, it doesn't matter that you've never met one another--you automatically have LOTS in common, and LOTS to chat about. I'm looking forward to the establishment of the North Texas Ethiopian Adoptee Playgroup. :)

2. At said dinner, the Fournets lent us Held at a Distance: My Rediscovery of Ethiopia by Rebecca Haile, and Ethiopian woman whose family fled ET during the revolution in the 1970's. So far I'm really enjoying and learning a lot from the book.

3. I was tagged by my dear friend,
Miss Hannah. Hannah works with inner-city kids here in our city. Love you Hannah!

Here's my stuff:

Jobs I've had:

Nanny
Salesperson, various clothing stores
Art Teacher
Middle School Literature/Poetry Teacher
PSAT/SAT/ESL Tutor (currently)

Places I've Lived:

Plano, TX
Waco, TX
Dallas, TX
*sigh*

Places I'd rather be:

Addis Ababa
Kenya
NYC
Boston
San Fran.
Texas Hill Country

Food I love:

Mexican
Italian

T.V. Shows I love:

Arrested Development
The Office
Law and Order

Movies I love:

Les Miserables
The Lives of Others
Princess Bride
LOTR
Places in the Heart
Amelie

Charade
Once

The Wizard of Oz

Books I love:

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis
That Hideous Strength by the same
The Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton
My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok
and, of course,
There is No Me Without You by Melissa Fay Greene

People I'm tagging:

Lori
Natalie

11 comments:

Michael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mexican Beauty said...

makes me happy to see your sweet faces. move to boston please!!!!

luv,
texas girl in boston

emily said...

We wanted to join you guys for dinner too but had the girls karate belt tests. Glad it was an encouraging time. Sign us up for playgroup:)

MissHannah said...

I love that picture...Let's go to Italy!

Lori said...

No, no, don't move to Boston-- Portland needs you. I see cute homes for sale in our neighborhood constantly :) Alright about your list:
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader has always been my favorite of the 7.
Ted used to send me tapes of Arrested Development when I lived in Slovakia, and I *loved* it so much that when I got to meet Tony Hale (Buster), I was star-struck, despite his being just a normal guy at our church.
When I first saw Les Mis on a Friday night, I couldn't get over it. I got up Saturday morning and took my mom to the first showing. Then I bought my own copy.
The Lives of Others has been my favorite movie so far this year (though Talledega Nights runs as close second, thank you Baby Jesus).
I can quote The Princess Bride.
And just last night, I was telling Ted about how my sister and I watched Places in the Heart over and over growing up and how that final scene is maybe the best idea on film of what heaven is going to be like. I get teary just thinking about it. Anyway, so weird that I just thought of the movie for the first time in *years* last night and today you mention it on your blog. Think I should try to track it down.

Rebecca said...

Glad you have your little group of friends all adopting from Ethiopia! We're fortunate to have a couple of friends around doing the same as well!

Beau Fournet said...

Thanks for the tagging...Beau and I are discussing who will answer the questions as he seems eager to embarass me with some funny answers.

Scott and Emily Lydick said...

Had a great time at dinner! We just updated our blog, not much there yet but more to come.

lydickfamily.blogspot.com

-Scott & Emily

Lori said...

I can't stop thinking about food and places I'd rather be! But especially food! And it's 9:40 pm--the bewitching hour for me and snacking! I will not be the fat girl I used to be! This is all your fault for tagging me!

Martha Elaine Belden said...

can't believe i didn't see this post before... but i have to say

the voyage of the dawn treader is MY favorite in the chronicles too!! i REALLY hope they make that one into a movie :)

Jason said...

Jana,

We (The Freys) had a blast at dinner.

I just finished reading Held at a Distance and found it a very enjoyable book. I suspect that the perspective of the author is likely very similar to that of an adopted child that grows up in the U.S. It's definitely worth a read.