Finally! Whew.
Michael and I were talking recently, about how since Monday, we have gradually moved from the "happy shock" stage, to the "it seems this is really actually happening" stage. I have been washing and packing tiny socks and clothes for a little person I have never laid eyes on, but who is legally my daughter. That, folks, is surreal. And amazing.
And yes, we think Ruthie looks like John Legend, too! :)
**As I gaze at our itinerary and contemplate taking the seventeen-hour flight back from Ethiopia to Dulles with an eleven-month-old, I would REALLY love to hear some advice from moms who've been there. REALLY.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

23 comments:
you're precious, jana. and every time i think of this my eyes well up with tears... i just can't get over how amazing this is.
YOU'RE A MOMMY!!!
i've said it so many times, but i can't wait to meet your daughter :)
Don't be surprised if she sleeps almost that whole 17 hours. Because it is a night flight...they turn the lights off and it is nice and dark. Nathan (although he was 8 months) slept the entire flight from Ethiopia to Rome...woke up on the runway stop...and slept from Rome to D.C. I have heard MANY people say their babies did the same thing. I hope this is the case for you too. Just take some small board books, small toys, and Cheerios...and don't hesitate letting the kind Ethiopian people on your flight have a turn holding her :)
Jana,
I am so excited for you. Make sure that she has something to drink as the plane takes off and decends. Also yes, lots of small things for her to snack on, books, and any other small toys that don't drive you and the other passengers crazy. I did take tylenol just in case their ears hurt them. Very comfy clothing and a blanket for snuggles. It will be a long but blessed trip. So exciting!
I am soooo excited for you!!! But I hear you on the flight fears....the longest I have done with kids is 3 hours and that is lONG enough:)
I'll pray that Ruthie sleeps well. Here are a few of my ideas...pack cheerios, gerber graduates puffs (my kids favorite)...bring that snack cup thing you got....that will be great to keep her busy digging for snacks. Also a sippie cup...she may like to sip on some juice....
At that age my kids loved digging through my purse...you can let her dig through yours...she'll love your keys and phone. You can also pack her a fun bag/purse with small books and toys in it. Mine loved a small purse with zipper compartments that had cheerios inside each comparyment...or put some old coin purses inside the actual purse and have treats/toys hidden inside. Anything she can dig through with you:)
Vodka. Lots of vodka.
Haha! Totally kidding. I was just going to add a few ideas. Try to keep her awake as much as possible before the flight so that she's nice and exhausted (but not over the top). If that's not possible and she's awake in flight just remember to get up, walk the aisles, change seats, lots of snacks, try switching out toys so she doesn't get bored. Like Amy suggested, make a few friends and pass her around. She'll love it and so will they. Board books are great, too. So exciting!
And go easy on the vodka, btw. :)
I really don't have anything to add except that I stressed about the 17 hour flight for months and it was such a non-issue. Like Amy said, it's a night flight and our son (8 mos at the time) pretty much slept the entire time. The Ethiopian people are so gracious and several around us asked to help/hold Moe the few times he did get fussy.
Now, I'm sad to report that the flights we've been on since being home, all of which have been under 3 hours, have been very taxing. He is just too busy/active now and I often wonder why it can't be like the 17 hour flight from Addis.
Best wishes on your travels and I look forward to following.
Yes I have to agree...my little guy who was 11 m when we took that flight slept 15 out of 18 hrs...only woke during the stopover for gas and then part of the second leg of the flight from
London to Toronto. It was still very exhausting as I don't sleep well on a plane and my sister was too ill to help....so I really didn't feel I could sleep holding him in my arms.
Ask the airline at every opportunity if they can put you on a bulkhead. That way, you will have room to put R at your feet, and she can stand/cruise in that small space.
If you're going to use a paci, have several clean ones handy. You won't want to reuse one that touched yucky airplane floor!
Ditto books and snacks from everyone else!
JTC wasn't into movies at that point, but some kids are. If you have a video ipod, load up something innocuous. iFrogz has kid-friendly holders/protection for ipods.
I was glad for the Mylicon (gas drops) and Tylenol with Anna. I also had lots of bottles and snacks. I took her for walks around the cabin when she would get fussy, and the change in scenery helped (sometimes I would hold her, other times I would let her walk around.)
Anna slept well (the bassinet is priceless!) and much preferred the bassinet for diaper changes than the changing station in the bathroom (too small for her liking.)
Anna did have some blowouts, so I was glad of having lots of diapers/wipes and changes of clothes as well as dirty diaper sacks and bags for dirty clothes.
It really helped to trade off with my mom- we were both tired, so one of us would take the baby (when she was awake) and the other would rest with Abigail. That way we both got some rest (not sleep, exactly, but rest.)
Also, babies of Ruthie's age almost always love to look at other babies/children, so make friends with the other moms:)
Isn't it so exciting having the itinerary??? YAY!! Hopefully she will just sleep all the way home, Pacey was younger but it was a night time flight and she did great. I on the other hand was a mess:-)
OUr ped. recommended Dramamine (usually for motion sickness) it really helps them sleep. I know, druging your child sounds terrible but after our son screamed for 10 hours (18 months at the time) it was our saving grace. You can also upgrade to first class for $700 extra when you check into your flight. It you can afford it, even if its only one of you, i really recommend it. waaaaaaay more room. I really think it depends on the child, some are so tired they sleep the whole way others not so much! Also - pack a ton of diapers. As Grace was saying, our son had many blowout diapers, he when tthrough three outfits, so pack extra clothes for the flight.
Change of clothes. For her. several (at least 3, maybe 4). Change of clothes. For you! At least one other top....Gabe threw up (milk, but still) on me like 3x. Ew. It will save you time in teh tiny bathroom trying to wipe off, then turn inside out etc. Oy. That's what I forgot. Change of clothes for me, enough changes for him (blowout diapers too - milk allergy we finally figured out). but otherwise she'll probably sleep a big part of the way. Just the hum of the plane, the overnight time, and honestly, the stress of it all. Sleep can be a stress response for the babes.
You're gonna do great!!!!!
Wish I have some great traveling advice for you but I've never flown longer than 3 hours...I'm pretty scared about that part myself.
Where are you guys staying in Addis?
ok I have never taken my child on this long of a flight but I do know one thing....do not go anywhere without Gerber Puffs....it is completely ok if she eats like 3 canisters on your flight home...they are like baby crack:)
OH, wonderful news. I have just been catching up on blogs and love to hear the great stories.
My only advice, you can do it!!! And the flight WILL end. And it just may go really well (ours did), but either way, you will be home as a family soon.
Hey, our L'il B may still be at the Gladney home when you travel. If so, we would LOVE a picture. I don't see an email link on your blog to give you more info. If you have time to email me, then I can give you the scoop so maybe we can get a few more sweet photos.
Thanks and congrats again!
The realization that you are traveling to pick up your little one must be amazing! I am so excited for you guys! You have an actual date that you are getting on a plane to bring your little girl home! Yahooo!
I'm loving all the tips you got about the plane ride home. Yay for those who have blazed the trail before us!
How exciting! For us, the whole experience continued to be surreal until we were actually back on American soil... and even then, I think it took a few weeks for the adrenalin to lift and normalcy to return. It's just going to be such a magnificent experience!
As for the travel tips, I think you've received a lot of good ones already. Zoe was one busy lady at 11 months (and hasn't stopped since!). But I found that the bottle during takeoff and landing was a good piece of advice to prevent the ears from getting plugged up.
Can't wait to follow this next phase of your journey!
Mei Mei barely slept on the plane. But Ruthie is younger. I think you just need to be prepared for anything. Expect to walk around alot. But I've heard stories of kids just sitting happy as a clam on their parents laps. I think this is an urban legend, but I've heard it said.
Be sure to take the Puffs everyone is talking about. You can get them at any grocery store on the Baby Food aisle. Sophia likes the whole grain sweet potato ones.
Also, take several small plastic bags for dirty diapers or dirty outfits. Definitely take a few changes for her and you.
Yes to the board books. Perhaps a small mirror.And something she's familiar with from Ethiopia.
We'll pray that everyone will sleep alot.
Gerber puffs and books (my kids always like the ones with "real" pictures and lift-a-flaps). And maybe a box of band-aids. Open, unpeel, stick, and repeat to her little heart's desire.
I'm a little late responding but if you are flying ET airlines, I HIGHLY suggest the bulkhead seat with bassinette. We were told that Hiwot was too big (16 mon and 27 lbs) but on our trip to ET, there was a little girls, about 3yo in the basinette. That was a LIFESAVER. Get to the airport 3hrs before your flight and hang out at the ET airlines check in desk as long as needed. They were so great and spent about 20 min trying to work it out and they did! Hiwpt slept very well in the basinette seat for a large part of the flight. It was the easiet part of our trip! :-)
How exciting for you! Not much longer!!!!!
Blessings,
Kristy
i don't have anything else to add...great stuff.
unless of course you want to borrow our portable dvd player!?!
i totally agree with the gerber puffs. they constipate Sol, but they can be a lifesaver when needed. on today's flight i really enjoyed being by the window b/c sol loves to look out the window (not much to see at night, tho) and b/c when he falls asleep in my arms the passengers in the row don't wake him as they need to get out and go to the potty.
i also agree with the board books, the snack trap, those tasty organic grahams that you and i were munching on, and any little toy that is fun to explore but not annoying. today on the plane i was able to sing songs quietly in sol's ear and teach him the hand motions. we played lots of little games like that and it was a big hit. he needed something new every 5-10 minutes, though, so be prepared to be creative and follow her lead with what she might be interested in. plastic cups, bottles, putting things in and pulling them out...sol loves to look through the flight magazines, too!
hope that helps...and praying for a quiet sleepy flight for all three of you!!
Post a Comment