Thursday, April 30, 2009

......

Did you know that April is Poetry Month???

I do, because my husband is a literature teacher. :)

Today my friend Sarah posted this poem on my FB page in honor of Poetry Month.  The truth and humor of it, the sweetness of it,  made me tear up (happy tears, of course):


An Excuse For Not Returning the Visit of a Friend
by Mei-Yao Ch'en
translated by Kenneth Rexroth 

Do not be offended because 
I am slow to go out. You know 
Me too well for that. On my lap 
I hold my little girl. At my 
Knees stands my handsome little son. 
One has just begun to talk. 
The other chatters without 
Stopping. They hang on my clothes 
And follow my every step. 
I can't get any farther 
Than the door. I am afraid 
I will never make it to your house.





And here's one of my favorites, by Richard Wilbur:



Having Misidentified a Wild-Flower
 

 A thrush, because I'd been wrong,
Burst rightly into song
In a world not vague, not lonely,
Not governed by me only. 


Richard Wilbur
 





Happy last-day- of-poetry-month!!!!



5 comments:

Unknown said...

i love them both and i need more poetry in my life.

jen said...

see this is why you have to keep blogging.

Lori said...

I remember that first one from my World Lit AP English class, senior year. It was one of my favorites.

Kristen, pajama mama said...

i had no idea it was poetry month-totally missed it! that first was is really cute-cute? is that the word i'm looking for?

Unknown said...

Good stuff, master blogger! Richard Wilbur wrote one of my all-time favorite quotes: "Everything we do is touched by Ocean, but we remain on the shores of what we know."