And to a developing country, no less.
In our case, it's going to look something like this:
Six large suitcases, checked.
Three small carry-on suitcases.
One car seat, checked.
One jogging stroller, checked.
One small backpack, carried on.
One Mac laptop, carried on.
Aaaand, that's about all, folks.
(we finally bought Ru a sleep cap, which helps keep her hair from getting dry and tangled as she sleeps. this is her"camera face." can you tell?)Our first Moving to Africa Yard Sale went well. We got rid of LOTS of stuff. Yet, I look around our 800 square foot space.....and still see stuff everywhere. I think our stuff is multiplying as we
sleep. Yep, I'm sure of it.
We have a lot of work to do, friends.
So, what essentials would YOU pack if YOU were moving to Africa? I'm not really needing suggestions--just curious what you would consider your must-haves.
I'm pretty sure our essentials will include brownie mix. And books. Books and brownies.

27 comments:
Brownies and books are the way to go:) Hey, "IF" we travel before you can we bring anything for you? We should have some space if Gladney could store stuff for you somewhere?
Though so many of us will travel after you, keep our contact info and whatever you forget, your adopting/traveling friends can bring up! I know I ALWAYS forget things. We lived in Germany three years and my mom sent us more boxes.
Brownies, books and your mac? That should do it!
You should include a few towels (if thick and luxurious towels are important to you)
allerban covers (if allergies are an issue)
OTC medicines--apparently difficult to buy in ETH
I think the same can be said about favorite toiletries--stock up if there's something you'll miss.
Once you're there, I'm sure traveling families will be happy to bring you things you long for but can't buy in Ethiopia.
Glad your yardsale was a success!
Oh, I meant to mention that if R won't keep her sleep cap on, or it comes off during nighttime wriggling, satin pillowcases work well too--both of my kids have them.
Wow- three large suitcases. I'm trying to imagine what I would bring. Definitely toiletries that you can't get in Addis. I am really trying to simplify my life, and be less tied down by things. But with three suitcases, geesh, that is tough! I'm sure you will be there by the time we travel next year, so I'll remember Brownie Mix for sure!
When we moved overseas for 5 years, a lot of my "must haves" were easy to pack Amercian food that would be hard to find. Food is always a top priority to me, unfortunately. :)
What a wonderful adventure! I grew up overseas...cake mix for birthdays was a big thing :)
I think I would have have have to have taco and fajita seasoning mix. And the Kindle I am hoping to get for a wedding present:) (save space on the books!)
Toiletries would be big for me - but then you know about my high maintenance hair ;)
Can you get mail there? I'd love to be on a list to send y'all goodies every once in a while.
Sounds like a plan to me! How great to simplify like that.........ahhhhhhh.
Really happy you guys are getting so close!
I would take grass fed ground chuck and buns for nice big juicy american hamburgers and of course, brownies.
I would have to take my favorite classic DVDs and books; also all the toiletries I could fit in suitcase, preferably a carry on. I would also take Charmin or Northern. lol!
Oh and baby formula and OTC meds. As you can tell I don't have a baby yet. My list of priorities are totally backwards.
Music and popcorn.
a good photo of Ru and Abe, duh (which is coming your way in the next week, along with the Mommies Who Drink chapters).
Wow, how to you choose what to take and what not?
Nope I think you nailed it - brownies and books what more could you need?!
I sat here for a minute to think about what I would really miss. I think I would pack my laptop (assuming an internet connection) and a few favorite photos. Plus the blue sweatpants I've had way too long but are oh, so comfy.
Happy packing to you!!!!
KRAFT macaroni and cheese! This was a favorite for me to receive in a care package. You can cook it with no butter or milk, and it still tastes surprisingly good! :)
Chips and salsa!!!
So excited for you and your new adventure in Africa!
That is really neat. Rutie is SO cute. Her name fits her well! I love the sleep cap. Thats cool too!
I would say medicine. It seemed like a hard thing to get there.
Lastly, I have a question- I just posted about not having pictures of Nataga when he was first put into Gladney care and somone mentioned that I might contact families who were in ET at the time and see if they took any pictures of him while he was there. I thought it was a good idea and worth a shot!
We are getting ready to travel to ET to pick up our baby girl on Saturday! But we are traveling alone this time! Normally, it's my husband and 4 kids. I got stopped at security one time and she told me that "you need to check in your luggage ma'am." I politely replied, "I did, these are all our carry-ons." :)
I was surprised at what we found at a few of the grocery stores we went to while in Addis. We got white bread, natural peanut butter, jelly, chips, and chocolate. We also saw deodorant, disposable razors, and shampoo. We also bought a great hairdryer at the grocery because ours would not work in ET. If you are craving a hamburger and french fries there is a place called Mini Bole. It is near the airport. They serve a pretty decent hamburger and fries. We also had the best Chinese food of our lives while there. It is hard to believe you guys are about to leave. What an exciting time!
Maggie Moos peanut butter ice cream!
Hi...I started an online website/forum for Ethiopian adoption. I hope you'll stop by, register for the forum and get involved! We could use your expert opinion!
The address is:
http://www.ethiopiakids.com
Thanks!
moving overseas is SO FUN! (though England and Ethiopia a bit different- but would move to ET in a SECOND.)
I am friends (blog friends with Emily- but who isn't:)) and saw you are moving to ET. We also have friends moving there soon. email me at hollikieser@hotmail.com if you would like her info. I did just pass her your blog.
Praying all goes well for you!
I would love to be able to email and hear more about what you all will be doing in Ethiopia. There is more that I'd like to share about us (somewhere less public :o)
I'm sure you must be crazy busy but if you get a chance you can email me at Heart2Home@aol.com
We are very excited to see what God is doing!!
Post a Comment