Tuesday, December 4, 2007

hi.

Has anyone seen the current issue of Smithsonian Magazine? The cover story is about the whereabouts of the ark of the covenant, and the claim Ethiopians make that they've had it for oh, several millenia or so. It's a great article with great photographs.

.....So our wait has increased from 0-3 months to 3mo-6 mo--which I DO realize is still a very short wait, relatively speaking. We're really hoping we might hear from CIS about our fingerprinting appt. before Christmas.....what with all the I-171h wait times, court date wait times, waiting to travel wait times, etc., I'm really starting to wonder if we will even have our court date by the time the Ethiopian courts close in early August for the rainy season. If we don't have our day in court by then, we'll be delayed at least three more months. I'm thinking we well may be cutting it very close. While I cerebrally acknowledge that God is in charge and that His timing is perfect, I can't help but be disappointed. Going from "Probably home in the late spring/ early summer!" to "Will she be home by next Christmas?!" is hard.

It's hard not to have any expectations, and not to plan ahead, for such an important event. It's the shiftable, fuzzy timeline that causes the stress.

Adoption is truly like being pregnant for an unknown number of months: will it be 3? oh wait, maybe 9? Okay, it may be more like 12-14????

I have a headache today, can you tell? I'm always 'glass-half-empty' when I've got a headache.

Off to some gulp some tylenol as the quest for a family continues,

Jana

12 comments:

dawn said...

Oh Sweet Girl...We are waiting right there with you. We want this little one too. Even though it might be so difficult, there is a purpose in the timing.

Sure love you!

Mexican Beauty said...

oh, jana! sorry for the discouraging news!! the not-knowing-when is really really tough. we'll definitely be praying with you that it's sooner rather than later...

Martha Elaine Belden said...

i'm sorry you're feeling discouraged right now... but i have EVERY faith that God is going to work this process quickly and you'll be parents in no time. and whenever it is, it'll be His perfect timing :)

i promise... i know how hard the faith part is. we KNOW these things but we don't BELIEVE them. so i'll believe for you right now :)

Gurskes said...

HI!!!

Its funny I've been rummaging through differnt blogs today and almost all of them (from differnt agencies) have said that their wait time has increased!! CRAZY!

Okay it's really not funny, more like frusterating.

Weird that you mention the smithsonian magazine we were just eating at an Ethiopian resturant about an hour ago and the owner (misty she's Ethiopian) was showing us that article! I need to fully read it....it looks amazing.

keep up the faith your little one will be home before you know it!

Bethany

Lizard said...

Oh sweet friend- I UNDERSTAND your disappointment. The week we sent in our dossier the referral wait went from 9 months to 12 months. Now it is at 23 months.

We are waiting on out I-171H renewal and I actually emailed our state rep this afternoon to get some answers. I've been at this 2.5 yrs and I am cranky. So I am pulling out the big guns.

There is definitely a cycle of disappointment, struggle, acceptance and then finally becoming resigned to the wait. This has happened over and over. John Piper's sermon on adoption really has helped me in this area and the idea of adoption being very hard work. But it is still hard.

emily said...

Hope you feel better. Waiting isn't fun- there just isn't any way around it. It is such a great opportunity to trust in the Lord and put our faith into practice.

Your friend Lizard makes me feel bad for complaining- it has so much to do with expectations too.

We will all hang in there together:)

Angie said...

oh i hope you get that appointment very, VERY soon! and i hope your headache is gone by the time you read this. i just try to think of a year from now when we are all looking back on this time with babies in arms! this seems to work (sometimes!)...hang in there!

~Laura~ said...

I'm right there with you. I'm worried that if I don't speed things along she may not be home by Christmas of NEXT year and that makes me VERY sad. :( Trying to stay positive though.

No matter what, His timing is PERFECT!!

((big hugs))

Shawn and Jami said...

we are with you in spirit and truly know the "fuzzy timeline"
effect. know that we love you and can't wait to celebrate with you.

jami

Rebecca said...

I know, I know! I can't even think about the wait. If I don't set timelines in my head, things are a lot better. I sometimes look at my ticker and think "oh, we've just been doing this a little over 5 months" and then I think "wow, we've ONLY been doing 5 months, it feels like forever!". I think we're right there with you...our dossier is on its way to Ethiopia. But, I feel like our wait is going to be a while :(

m&r said...

I think I could have written this post! We are a bit behind you in the process (still waiting for gladney to finalize our homestudy and send it on to CIS), but lately I have been having many of the same feelings. It does help to know I'm not alone. We will be thinking good thoughts for you and hope you hear from CIS very, very soon.

Tricia said...

Oh Jana...I am very sorry to hear this. And am reminded to pray for God's comfort and peace for y'all as you wait. Waiting, yet without a specific timeline to work with sounds so challenging. We so look forward to rejoicing with you guys once your sweet baby is here!