Saturday, June 28, 2008

Bliss.

Hello,

I am in Austin. I love Austin. Like everybody, I guess.

Bliss: I am here with my husband. We are at a conference, at which we have spent three days listening to lectures about: the Greeks, the Romans, the medievals, children, teaching, Jesus, music and the arts, and truth-goodness-beauty. After one lecture I was so inspired I skipped the next workshop and started to write a story about a little Ethiopian girl....I also made a few sketches. Michael and I spent the evenings with some of our favorite teacher-friends, eating lots of Tex-Mex and drinking margaritas and laughing and talking about books. I spent one afternoon reading magazines by the hotel pool. The sun was very hot, but the humidity was low and the breeze was very nice.

Bliss: Today we wandered into vintage shops and independent bookstores and I bought Persepolis and The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. And now we have just spent half the day with our brother and sister-in-law, who live in Austin with our adorable nephew.

13 comments:

Kellsey said...

You're here???

How crazy! Were you by chance hanging out on S.Congress while you visited some fun vintage shops or were you enjoying another of Austin's swanky strips?

If you get a chance and you can have pizza, you have GOT to go to Homeslice Pizza on Congress Ave. So very very tasty! Loud, but so good.

Colored With Memories said...

Does sound blissful!

I didn't realize that D & H were parents now...many congrats...to them and the aunt and uncle!

Jana said...

Kells--we were on So. Congress, and Gualelupe.....ate at Guero's on nite on Congress, across from Homeslice. :) This visit has been packed, but next time we come I want to hang with you guys, if you can!!!

this is Jana, not Michael. :)

Kellsey said...

It would be lovely to see you guys! It wouldn't have worked this visit for us either. I managed to step off a curb without meaning to and wound up in the E.R. on Friday night. Nothing was broken, but I have been on the couch all weekend with an assortment of frozen things on my foot (peas, rice, peas&carrots, etc). I may have only sprained the ligaments in my foot, but, man, are there some lovely greens and purples showing up down there!

Kellsey said...

Oh, and Guero's and Homeslice are about 3 minutes from my house. So fun that you were so close by!

Unknown said...

oh, so fun!!!! glad you had such a lovely time.

i miss austin.

emily said...

So glad you had a fun weekend, you deserve it!

los cazadores said...

I just wanted to say hello. I'm digging your blog. :)

Cindy

dawn said...

Wish we had been there. I have a couple of the No.1 Ladies books if you ever want them.

Miss you and thinking of my niece this morning.

Love you.

Zach and Erin Kennedy said...

Random but I met someone who knows you today. Her name is Carrie and I think her husbands name is Josh (might be wrong about that) they went to OBU with one or both of you. They live in Fayetteville, Ar. I went swimming with a friend of mine and she had invited Carrie. I have no idea how we got around to you guys but somehow we did and I told her i followed your blog!! Small world! Do you know who I am talking about? I will find out their last name.

Amy said...

Hey.. was there a speaker by the name of Susanna Childress at the conference you were at??? Her husband, Josh Banner, is my Josh's BFF! We love them very much...I think she was there speaking. She was somewhere speaking at an arts conference in Austin..has to be the same one. :)

kerri said...

Jana and Michael,
My kids are taking a nap, and guess what I am doing? Reading your blog! I love it. Was the conference you attended for teachers in TX specifically? It sounds really interesting to me. Jana, if you are reading this, my husband and I went to school with Michael. Josh and Michael went to Morocco together. I am so thrilled for both of you, and truly touched by reading your posts. Have I missed a picture of your little one? Will be praying for her and you as you continue to wait.

Zach and Erin Kennedy said...

ok...so if you were confused about my previous comment that I posted... Kerri in the above comment is who I met! Now is this all making sense? I know I am confused!!!