Monday, January 19, 2009

....

Today I got to see the incomparable Lori Rooney and the Abey Baby. I love Lori. It was a good, though brief, visit; and I need to steal some of pictures she took of us. I think all my adoption friends need to start an Ethiopian Adoption Commune, rather than this silly living-on-the-opposite-sides-of-the-country thing. Plus, I have some favorite bloggers right now, and SO cannot get to know them in person! Like blogger Julie! I love Julie's blog. And I am a little bit jealous that Lori gets to be real-life friends with her. Julie, do you want to move onto the commune?

And now, onto hair--Ruthie's. Her hair is both fun AND stressful--I love that it's SO different from mine--I am fascinated by her tiny corkscrew curls and love her fluffy halo of hair. And it's been fun to have an excuse to buy product. (Don't you think it's dumb when stylists use the word "product" with no article? It makes me giggle.) Anyway, I'm pretty sure I've not found quite the right thing. I'm using Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Spray and the Hair Milk. Shampoo and conditioner brands have been kind of random--right now I'm using Pantene's Shampoo for Women of Color, but it's way too perfumed to me, and I'm not crazy about all the mineral oil in it. I think I need a heavier conditioning product? Her hair is fairly wiry, and like I said, springs out from her cute little head in corkscrews about the width of pencil. It's definitely not as fine as some of my friends' little Ethio babies. If YOU have an African child with hair like this, I would LOVE to hear from you. I need help. I would love to know your regime. And I don't want to randomly buy product. Let me be honest: I feel stressed out around black people, like they are thinking, "Wow, that white girl REALLY needs to learn how to do her girl's hair. Sheesh." In actuality, my black friends have been super gracious and helpful. It's really my personal insecure hangup. :)

All righty. Can you tell I'm getting more sleep these days? Ruthie SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT LAST NIGHT. (I forgot to tell you that, Lori.) I see brighter days ahead!

17 comments:

Julie said...

I thought you'd never ask!! Of course! Where shall it be? I'm packing.
Oh, and I know nothing about hair. Maybe call Ruthie's doppleganger, Mr. John Legend and ask him.

Rebecca said...

I, obviously, don't have any hair care advice. I'm still trying to figure out how to do Eli's hair!

She slept through the night? Then there is hope for us yet! :) I think Eli woke up 4 times last night. It may have been 5. I used to count, but that's not so much fun now.

Unknown said...

I've been cracking up about the "product" verbiage for years! I don't think the usage is limited to stylists, however--my mother-in-law does a scrapbooking business out of her home. One time we went to visit and there was a typed note taped to the front door: "Deliver all product to back door." I am still giving her grief about that note!
Great seeing you all and meeting Ruthie on Sat--

Kari said...

Stay with Carol's Daughter products....I've heard nothing but great things:) We use the "Milk" on Zoie, but she doesn't have a lot of hair yet! Its coming...
There's a wonderful product you can get online...The Kidd Family swears by this with their ET princess. Its the baby line www.curls.biz
"Its a curl! Organic Baby Curl Care!!" We have all 3 (shampoo, cond & spray) & its soooo yummy for children...smells incredible:)
xoxo
Kari

Jess Connell said...

When we were first looking into Ethiopian adoption a couple years ago, I read a mom with many children adopted from Africa who said that she took them at least once (or more, however long it took) to a black beautician/barber.... with the up-front agreement/understanding that the stylist would teach them how to do it and do it right. Whatever product was needed, specifically how to fix it, what to do if _____, what to watch out for, what not to do, etc.

Sounds like good advice to me. I don't know that I'd be much different than you (feeling silly in front of people who can see that I don't know what I'm doing)... but it does sound like good advice, nonetheless.
~Jess

christina said...

so glad she slept through the night! you guys should have a party!

D said...

I will get my wife to talk about this more...but we use alot of Carol's Daughter products and one Fredrick Fekkai (spelling?). It is a lot of work, but we're getting there.

Jocelyn said...

I am so jealous that you got to see Lori Rooney...I miss her:-( I also love Julie's blog and Julie..I think you should make her move to Texas, it would be closer to here as well...good plan Jana!! I knew I liked you:-)
I'll send you an email on facebook later with details on how I do Pacey's hair. She has pretty big curls, maybe a little bigger then Ruthie's...but I think my regime would work for her hair as well!!

Melissa said...

I just read a post not too long ago that could help you out with Ruth's hair. I tracked it down:

http://raisingmymalia.blogspot.com/2009/01/hair-oics.html

Hopefully it helps.

Carol said...

Hey, girl - We stick with Carol's Daughter. We love Tui Herbal shampoo - very thick and rich and I actually think that makes all the other stuff work better. Also love hair milk, hair butter or hair smoothie as conditioners. Unlike my hair, which would wither away if you put any product on it, Rae can take a lot of product and I actually leave the conditioner in rather than wash it out. We go to Sephora to buy, and I've consulted with a couple of stylists who are African American. They have been VERY helpful!

dawn said...

Jana-you are a wonderful mother. And this auntie does not want Ruthie's hair to change. It's one of my favorite things in the world...besides her smile, her laugh, her bright eyes. I could go on and on!

Joanna said...

Hi Jana and Michael!

I'm a writer for Adoptive Families magazine (learn more at www.adoptivefamilies.com), and I'm looking to profile a family who has recently adopted from Ethiopia. It would be part of a special report on Ethiopia Adoption (what's new, what changes are happening, etc.) that we are putting together for the next issue. Would you be interested in sharing a photo and your adoption story with us? I hope to hear from you soon! I can be reached at joanna@newhopemedia.com or at (646) 366 0837. Thanks, Joanna

obligato said...

okay i am on it! I love the twists! I will let u know! buying hair milk now. i have silken child conditioner and it smells sooooooooo strong i cant stand it. i love the carols daughter tui something but it is sooo watery. i am on a mission to find somehting i love. is ruthies hair frizzy?

los cazadores said...

Oooh a commune. That is a fantastic idea!

:)

Cindy

sk said...

Hi Jana- sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you more Sunday... (Sarah-Michael's friend from OBU) I know you were busy catching up with friends. I would love to plan a playdate with you if you're interested? We can do the Children's Museum (Nature & Science) or the Dallas Arboretum on a warm day? I have membership to both- can get you in free. We love outings...
Such cute pics of Ruthie- she is precious!

Lori said...

Gorgeous picture. And so happy she slept through the night. Big step. I'm emailing you photos right now.

Unknown said...

Your daughter is beautiful! About the hair -- all black hair is not the same and what works for one person may not work for the other. If you are using shampoo, stop. Shampoo dries our hair out. Wash with conditioner, it will clean it just as well. When you comb it out after washing, comb it out in small sections. I could go on and on but I'm going to refer you to this site -- you can ask questions, you can exchange information, etc. Best black hair site on the web (and no, I am not the web master!)

http://www.nappturality.com/

Best of luck to you and your beautiful family!