Friday, February 6, 2009

Hope and a Future.

I want to tell you something.

Since returning home from Ethiopia, I've spent a lot of time looking through the pictures we took of the older children at the government orphanages, and at the Gladney foster care home for older children. I keep looking at their faces. I'm not sure what I'm looking for; some days I have a feeling I'm searching their faces, looking for our next family member. I think about those children often. I'll have to tell you more about my visit to the older children's foster home some day---about the overjoyed screams of "Ferenge!" (Foreigner!) and the many, many, kisses on the cheek I was given.....

So, this video just sends me. Michael and I were at Kebebtsehay Orphanage the day Chris and Heather filmed some of this footage--I even caught a little glimpse of Michael, and an even tinier glimpse of Ruthie (being held by one of the older girls.) I remember this sweet face from that day---though I didn't know it would belong with Drew, Carey, and Zoe. Congratulations, Drew and Carey! We are overjoyed for you. And for your sweet, precious daughter!!!


4 comments:

Lori said...

We are kindred spirits.

Leah Reeves said...

Lovely video,

The older children we met will live in my mind and heart forever. Their spirits just pull you in and you are left not knowing what to do. They are the biggest reason we felt like different people after our trip to Ethiopia.

Leah

JonesEthiopia said...

The older children had such an impact on A and me when we were there picking up R. I had NEVER considered adopting an older child before they touched my heart in the most profound way. Now, I can't imagine doing anything else!

Amber said...

How wonderful! We also think of adopting an older child. The Gladney Foster program sounds interesting. I will have to get more info on that.

Amber