Sunday, April 26, 2009

A Short Update

1. We start Amharic lessons this Thursday. We're ready.

2. I've not added any clips to my etsy site, some of you may have noticed. Since making the decision to move overseas, it's become clear that I have way too much on my mind to continue making, photographing, and loading up clips to the store. (Like, learning Amharic, for instance.) If you're still really wanting one, let me know and I'd love to make a special order. Thank you to all of you who bought everything I loaded up to the store--it was really fun while it lasted! Now I'm dreaming of ways to use that felt and the notions with the older girls at Kechene. Who knows, maybe you'll travel to Ethiopia, visit the little shop the girls have, and find some adorable felt clips for sale. That would be cool, right?

3. Yesterday sweet baby Ru went down for nap rashless, and woke up with a rash covering her torso--lots of little raised bumps. She isn't scratching at it. Any thoughts?

4. We'll be visiting with an international MD soon to learn how to keep all three of us as healthy as possible in Ethiopia.


The end. Thanks for bearing with me.

10 comments:

Kari said...

Jana,
I JUST posted to my AW YG about Zoie's tiny white raised bumps. We use Aquaphor, and have changed everything to 100% free...from head to toe, but we can't get rid of them?? I've tried everything. I'm sure they are the same thing covering Ru's body. Zoie doesn't have them on her face or bottom, just torso, legs & back. I'm going crazy.
Please let me know what you find out...
I ran into Dawn on the road & we talked about her visit w/ Ru & family yelling thru the window:)))) LOL
www.simplyloveproject.blogspot.com

mama becca said...

hey there!
i saw your article in the latest adoption mag... so sweet! and, about the bumps... my kids get that occasionally- just all of a sudden get a rash on their torso. Usually it goes away on its own after a couple of days and doesn't seem to bother any of them. Our doc tells us that this is usually a sign of a virus "on it's way out"... meaning they carried a virus, and, even if it didn't cause them to be sick, a rash is the tail-end of it. I'm not a doctor, just a mama! so i guess if it starts bothering her, get her checked out :).
take care!
becca
(and yes, i'll come to ethiopia just to buy felt clips from the kechene girls :)

JonesEthiopia said...

Saw your article in the magazine, too! How cool! :) As for the rash, my friend's daughter has had that happen to her, too, just as Becca's kids have. The dr. has told her the same thing... So, if sweet Ru isn't bothered by them, don't be too concerned.

Amy said...

I would definitely love to buy some felt clips from the Kechene girls! :) I am sure you will come up with something creative and cute with your felt....

Silas has pretty bad eczema...but he scratches at his. I got nothin' for you beyond that regarding the bumps. :)

Amharic will be FUN!

What magazine article? Am I missing out on an adoption magazine that everyone else knows about?

Amber said...

It was great to see you guys again last night and so great to meet sweet Ru!

AB

Jess Connell said...

Could it be a heat rash? Was she overheated? A couple of our kids have been prone to getting bumpy rashes while sleeping if they're overdressed/overheated. Just a thought.

We've also had eczema, but this doesn't sound like that. It usually doesn't come on that soon... my only other guess might be a food allergy? Did she eat something strange or new (or something she's had before but in a much larger amount) before laying down?

Those are my best guesses. :)

Enjoy the beginnings of language learning; it's full of highs and lows but very stimulating for the mind and always interesting.

Unknown said...

love you. so excited for you on this new journey to ethiopia. praying for all you need to do to prepare. : )

~Laura~ said...

not sure about the rash but Mercy woke up this morning with a rash covering her belly. I used sunscreen on her yesterday and I think it could be from that...or maybe the heat. It was 90 here yesterday.

Sad that you're not making clips anymore. I'm sure glad I got mine before you closed up shop. :)

D said...

Good luck with the Amharic...I think it sounds so difficult...but you're both bright people...

Lizard said...

Mei has eczema that covers her arms and legs and it looks like bumps and it is exacerbated by heat and direct contact with allergen type stuff.

I want to read your article!