Sunday, January 27, 2008

Falling Slowly

This is a clip from one of my favorite movies of 2007, called Once. (The other one is The Lives of Others, which was released in 06, but I saw it in 07.) I think Once is one of the loveliest films I've seen since....I don't know when. It is simple and moving--the story of the relationship between a busker (street singer) and an Eastern European immigrant in Dublin. So, maybe you're not into independent films. If you aren't, you should still give this film a chance and allow it to challenge you. The ending is....beautiful.

So is the music, which is all original: written by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova. Though they aren't actors, these two musicians play the lead roles in the film.

Here's a snippet:

12 comments:

emily said...

Moody and I have it right now in one of our Blockbuster online deals.....we are excited to watch. Moody just said it would be irresponsible to start it now considering it is 9:30pm and we have life tomorrow morning!!! Soon....

We LOVE independents!

-Samantha- said...

We just got the sound track. It is such a fantastic film!

Christina said...

I dont know if I have told you this - but I just love your profile pic!!!

Kellsey said...

Hey, Sweetpea,
this is completely unrelated to your blog, but I just wanted to give a shout out for The Diamond Age. I just recently read it and found it very interesting. I was disappointed by the conclusion as I found it weak, but I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the book. I just checked your profile after reading "mrs. baker"'s comment and wanted to give a nod to Mr. Stephenson.

Jana said...

Kells--
I found the last part of the book disappointing, too. But isn't it amazing, though??? Sooo interesting. I'm glad you're geeky like me. Which reminds me: have you ever watched the 2006 season of Dr. Who? I thought of you as I watched it. I've got to find someone who likes it as much as I do!

Amy said...

Loved that music...we will be renting that movie soon. We love independent films too! We are not very good at renting movies for some reason... either we don't remember to when we are out or we end up renting from the $1 red box that has very limited selection.

Lori said...

My father-in-law is sort of obsessed with Once. He has the LP framed, along with a huge poster up on his "Ireland wall," which also includes posters he picked up there and a huge map of Ireland with pins stuck in every city he went to. He cuts out any mention of Once in newspapers and sends them to us, and when we found a flower-stand in Temple Bar in Dublin, he was convinced that was the stand where she worked in the film. All that being said, we like the movie too. :)

Unknown said...

Jana,
You left a comment on our blog about the ET adopt yahoo group that meets once a month. We want to know more and meet you all! What's your e-mail address? Mine's gehmanc@gmail.com.

Loved Lives of Others and am on the wait list at the library for Once!

Christian (From Axum To Here Blog)

mama becca said...

Thank you so so so much for sharing that. I'm obsessed now just from watching the clip! Can't wait to watch the whole thing- the music is amazing.
becca

Katy said...

I love both of those movies! If I need a good cry, I'll put on "Say it to Me Now." It automatically makes the tears bust through my eyelids. Good stuff!

Martha Elaine Belden said...

agreed... i LOVE this movie!

i bought the soundtrack immediately after seeing the movie and listened to it endlessly for a few weeks.

so glad you love it, too :)

Amy said...

We just watched this movie and LOVED it!
Great recommendation! Great soundtrack!